1.01.2017

Caracas, 20 de marzo de 1929 / José Antonio Ramos Sucre

Caracas, March 20th, 1929*


Mr. Lorenzo Ramos, agent of Banco de Venezuela, Maracay

     Thank you very much for the kind telegram from you and Blanca. Some concerns have assaulted me this unfortunate year. But my patience is superhuman. I insist on the nobility of patience, origin of our affective virtues. Patience is courage in adversity and urbanity with our fellow humans. No one tries to find out our merits, but instead people want to see if we’re sociable and tolerant. In our home that fertile quality was almost always prohibited and plebeian irascibility rose to be considered an energy.
     I’m spending lots of money. In order to get some sleep, I’ve found myself having to rent the apartment contiguous to mine, much more spacious and better furnished. This way I avoid the danger of it being inhabited by two people at the same time, which would lead to conversations at night and my own annoyance. So I have occupied, then, the contiguous apartment.
     This is my reason for delaying gifts for my gracious nieces. I need to wait for the balance first. I hope to count on the benevolence of such exquisite girls.
     Be very careful with my previous letter, where I point out pitiful habits [...]. The list of illnesses and tragedies can afflict and depress. St. Thomas Aquinas has already pointed to the ravages of sadness and fear on man’s body.
     Well, dear Lorenzo, take care of yourself and be circumspect.
                                                                                                     J.A.R.S.

     Give your condolences to Doña Carmelita Martínez de Sucre for the death of Antonio, your subaltern in Bolívar. I don’t believe in any resentment on your part towards that family. Don’t listen to intrigues.




* “Typewritten letter. Blanca González Pregal was Lorenzo’s wife and their daughters are: Gladys, Isabel Cecilia —Ramos Sucre’s goddaughter— and Luisa Elena. Antonio Sucre Martínez was a second cousin. The previous letter the author alludes to hasn’t been published.” (Alba Rosa Hernández Bossio)




{ José Antonio Ramos Sucre, Obra poética, Edición crítica de Alba Rosa Hernández Bossio, Madrid: Colección Archivos, 2001 }

No comments: